February 11, 2011

EGYPT! EGYPT! EGYPT!


Vice President Omar Suleiman: "Citizens, during these very difficult circumstances that Egypt is going through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to step down as the President of the republic and has entrusted the high council of the armed forces to carry out the running of the country" ... and the crowds erupt!!!!! I hope you are all watching this: it is BEAUTIFUL. Egyptians held strong, persisted peacefully, and rose above a corrupt, violent regime. Many people expected blood today, but the protesters stood together, and would not fall to the violence many say Mubarak was trying to incite. Thank-you for showing us that truly, "when the people arise, tyrants tremble."

I was out in Jerusalem all day, trying to peek into Palestinian shops to keep up with the news - all of their TVs were tuned to Egypt. Finally, half an hour after Suleiman's speech, I went into a little restaurant to check the TV and told the owner, "I just want to see the news." Upon hearing my Egyptian accent, he said, "Mubarak is gone!" I had to check several times with him, just to make to make sure, and then I was just speechless. I went outside to tell my students, and soon the restaurant owner came out with "victory cookies" for all of us. We jumped on a Palestinian bus to head back to the place we're staying so we could watch BBC in English and on the way, the ticket guy turned on the radio news and then got on the microphone and announced "Mubarak is finished!" with a huge smile on his face, at which point the bus erupted into applause. The world is with you, Egypt!

This revolution, this victory, this day, belongs to all Egyptians, and here's what they're saying:

“Dignity at last!
Freedom tastes sooooo sweet. Never, EVER again will I let go of that!

“Thanks Mubarak. I think this is enough now to hand it over; thank you for keeping us in peace all these years and Good Bye, we deserve a better life not only outside Egypt but also Inside. Let us say we will not allow corruption again or terrifying people again. Let’s start again with transparency and honesty. Good Bye President.”

“Yes. Welcome, freedom.”

“So thankful that today was peaceful and so grateful to those who achieved that. As the people rejoice we welcome tomorrow with hope and a willingness to work hand in hand for a better country for our children. It won't be easy, but we have claimed the responsibility and endeavour to live up to the challenge.”

"Unbelievable! Egypt isn't like before. Even the air smells differently! Thanks for your prayers! See you soon in Egypt, insha'allah (God willing)."

"From Tahrir: WE DID IT!"

"We are so happy! Ilhamdulillah (thanks be to God)!! The best is yet to come, God willing."

"I'm surprised, happy, excited and worried about the coming months till the elections. And I'm so proud of my people and my country! Isn't it like a dream to you too?"

"It's crazy in the streets. People are cheering and honking their horns. If you're near a TV, you can see how happy people are in Tahrir. I hope this is good for Egypt's future."

"I'm elated, satisfied, hopeful, and concerned. We've claimed this opportunity and now need to live up to the challenge and responsibility of building a democratic and inclusive Egypt. As big as this step is, it is only the first step in a long journey ahead. But we will worry about that tomorrow. Tonight, we party!"


ALF MABROUK LI MASR - A THOUSAND CONGRATULATIONS TO EGYPT

If you can load it, watch this video: "Long Live Egypt"

UPDATE:
Obama: "In Egypt, it was the moral voice of non-violence that bent the arc of history towards justice once more." Egypt, you are a wonderful example to the world.

Wael Ghonim (Egyptian Google executive who was kidnapped by security services on the third day of the protests - watch his incredible interview after he was released here. This interview is said to have re-energized the Egyptian people): "They lied to us. Told us Egypt died 30 years ago, but millions of Egyptians decided to search and they found their country in 18 days."

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Woot woot!

Carolyn said...

GO EGYPT!!! Can't imagine how it must feel for you and for all you love so dearly over there...