There are few things in the world that I hate more than packing. I hate it, hate it, hate it. I'm also bad at it, which doesn't help (which is maybe why I hate it in the first place). But, thankfully, I'm almost finished and then it's off to Chicago where I'll see Carolyn and Katie and Craig, which will be splendid. I'm even going to make it to Lollapalooza for a day - I haven't had time to check who's playing on Sunday, but I'm sure it will be great. I hear that the Midwest is having a crazy heat wave and I'm not very enthusiastic about that part, but I'll be with friends, so it'll be worth it.
On Tuesday I leave for Egypt from Chicago. O'Hare - Heathrow (London - 5 hour layover) - Cairo. I'll arrive in the "land of the Pharaohs" on Thursday night and I can feel the jet lag already. But even through my present exhaustion, I'm already anticipating what it will be like to return to Cairo. In some ways, I think it will feel like coming "home", as "home" is what it felt like to many of us the first time. Tonight I watched "Syriana" with my sisters and my mom and just hearing the Arabic and watching some of the scenes (especially the ones that take place in a taxi) made me even happier that I'm going back. Things will definitely be different than the first time I went, but I love the Middle East no matter what, and I'm really excited to watch the students that are coming fall in love with it as well.
August 05, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey Dena - oh the perils of packing. I just packed my life into my car. I hope I can make it to New Mexico with out any troubles. It is so full I can only see out my side mirros - barely. I hope you have a wonderful time! Keep your blog updated!
bye dener. thanks for the letter.
ahh, ya Dena. Taxis and roosters at sunrise. Make sure you stay hydrated, because it will be HOT!!! I'm watching From Russia With Love (James Bond movie) with my family right now, and part of it takes place in Cairo. I'm a little jealous that you get to go back. You will be excellent! And you get to be an intern with Stv. (aka Tom Cruise.) Ma'a Salama, habibi.
I bought Paradise Now, and I absolutely melt when I hear all the arabic. I watched it with friends, and I just wanted to explain everything to them the whole time, the "ilhamdililay" and all...
I'M JEALOUS OF YOU!!! Please, say hi to Dr. Dave and Dia'a and Carol for me, ok??? Please!
Hey there Dena,
Best of luck
better get used to the heat
Allo, Dena!
I'm so glad you were NOT in London on Wed. when the terrorist threats happened.
Have an amazing time in Egypt...Cheers!
Post a Comment