July 29, 2006

Bombs over Beirut

From a friend of a friend in Lebanon:

“I was about to have a break down, I couldn't handle the sound of the bombs falling next to my building. For a week, I couldn't eat and sleep, because I didn't want to believe that war came back again, killing my people, destroying my country that I believed so much in. My anger is big. I have no more tears left, I feel like I want to make a big revolution to show the world what mankind can do, how cruel can we be, how much hate we have, it's like love had never been born, it's like Jesus had never came to earth....it's like God had never existed....Today I'm sad, today I'm crying, today I'm apart....What is happening to our prayers for peace?? Is God hearing our prayers? My family is apart, I lost my country....”

3 comments:

sara without an 'h' said...

I wanted to post that, too...
I got an e-mail from one of the Palestinian refugees we met in Lebanon, and he says similarly hopeless things. Why, Dena?

And then Israel attacks the UN. Geesh!!

sara without an 'h' said...

Yesterday, while wandering the streets of Toronto, I happened upon a protest by mostly Lebanese and Palestinian Canadians against the US and Israeli (and Canadian) governments because of their war against Lebanon.

I just happened to be wearing my MESP shirt, the one that says "Ana beheb Masr"!

I joined in for a while--although it was rather more extreme than I am...

I thought of you and Andrew, and Andrea and Kris, and how I would have loved for you all to be there with me!

Carolyn said...

Yikes Dena. I know Egypt isn't exactly the center of the problem, but I'm nervous that you will be down there...I feel like a mother but you never know how far it will stretch...