May 23, 2012

Egypt votes!

I meant to write about the Egyptian presidential election long ago, as I was in Cairo two weeks ago and the city is bursting with campaign posters, flyers, and billboards, and political talk is everywhere (I loved listening to it!).  However, time has slipped past me and now I'm in Jerusalem and Egypt is voting today! There has been plenty written elsewhere so I won't say much about the election itself except that most people are predicting a run-off election at the end of June after today's elections.  From what I heard "on the ground" in Cairo, I'm predicting that the candidates who will come out on top are as follows (though, note that I'm not a political analyst.  Most people - and media outlets - are saying the same things):
(*Before  my candidate descriptions, a note: First time things in Egypt:  televised presidential debates, and the opportunity for Egyptians living abroad to vote.  Great little steps forward!).

Amr Moussa:  Former head of the Arab League.  Many people love him, believing he offers the security people are desperately looking for in the wake of the revolution and the decreased powers of the police and the absence of a police state. Those in opposition have put him in the category of "fellul" - a word referring to those belonging to Mubarak's regime.  Moussa was heavily involved in Hosni's government, though generally stayed free of the tarnish of corruption.  Even those opposed acknowledge that he's very strong in foreign policy, but will he just bring the tactics of the regime back again?  I think he'll take a number of the Christian votes.




Ahmed Shawfiq:  Definitely deserving of the label of "fellul", Shawfiq is straight from the Air Force.  Put in as interim Prime Minister after Mubarak's resignation, protests by the people later pushed him out.  A late entrance into the game, his candidacy has angered many Egyptians who feel that if he is elected it will signal a complete failure of any and all protests since the beginning of the Revolution.  However, as with Moussa, Shawfiq appeals to those who a) Didn't want Mubarak to step down in the first place and/or b) Those who disliked Mubarak but are very nervous about who might take his place, especially with the decreased sense of security across the nations.  Like Moussa, I think he'll get some of the Christian votes.  *No photo

Abdul Moneim Aboul Fotouh:  Often put under the title of  "Islamist", which I think is misleading.  Left the Muslim Brotherhood because of more liberal views, as well as because of his decision to run as a candidate after the Brotherhood declared they would not field one (the MB later rescinded this decision and put in Mohammad Mursi).  Fotouh has mounted an articulate, intelligent campaign, with good youtube videos clearly explaining his views, as well as other savvy use of media and advertising, drawing in large numbers of younger, often more liberal Muslims. Interestingly, the Salafis (ultra-Conservative Islamists) are backing him, in political manouevering against the Muslim Brotherhood. I've heard some Christians say they don't mind Fotouh and think he has a good campaign, but as one Evangelical Christian told me, "Fotouh's not that bad.  But I just can't imagine myself standing in the election line behind a Salafi and us voting for the same person." 

Hamdeen Sabahy:  A leftist Nasserist, Sabahy has a lot of support from the younger generation, including those who might label themselves as "The Revolutionaries."  I wasn't hearing as much about him when I was in Cairo, but he seems to have gained a lot of support in the last few weeks.  Some Christians might also support him, as might some of the older Egyptians who look back fondly on the days of Nasser (though I'm not sure why).




Khalid Ali:  Will probably get the least votes of the previous candidates, but seems to have mounted a strong campaign in the last few weeks, including a decision to fast in solidarity with protestors arrested by the military in recent demonstrations.  Also well supported by young people - including some young Christians - he is a left wing human rights activist and labour lawyer.   *No photo

Mohammad Mursi: Muslim Brotherhood candidate, from their "Freedom and Justice Party."  Came into the election after the MB's original candidate was disqualified.  Will take a number of votes, though I can't imagine any Christians casting any of them. 





Prayers for Egypt today:  for fair elections, fair representation, fair vote counting.  And for candidates who keep their word (something every election in every country in the world needs prayers for!). 

Happy voting, Egypt!

Image from the Turgoman bus station in Cairo.  (It's an advertisement for a mobile phone company.  But Obama really did say that.)  

No comments: