May 27, 2012

The Debate Begins

Technically, the votes are still being finalized (yup, still).  However, the winners are 99% clear, as I mentioned yesterday.  So now the debate begins:  was the election fair?  Are the votes being counted properly?  The 3rd place candidate (3rd by approximately 700,000 votes), leftist Hamdeen Sabahy, is contesting, and calling for a re-count.  Will it happen?  Doubtfully.  Is he right to call for it?  Honestly, I have no idea.  Below is a photo being passed around online by many Egyptians, including many of my friends (even if they didn't vote for Sabahy originally, the majority of my friends - Muslim and Christian - think he's a better choice now than Morsi or Shawfiq, the current two candidates for June's run-off).  Sabahy's column is "Column C" and seems to show that he has more votes than Shawfiq, who is "Column E."  Column A is the various governorates (like provinces), with Cairo being first. I don't mean to pump up conspiracy theories (since I don't know the source of the photo) but I thought you'd be interested in what Egyptians are saying.  Click on the photo to see it enlarged.

No comments: