June 10, 2008

In Remembrance of John Rabbit : 1942 - 2008.




I first met John Rabbit while standing on a sidewalk on 96th street in the sun, one month after arriving back in Canada from Egypt, and one week after starting a new job at The Mustard Seed, in Edmonton's inner city. I was feeling lost and unsure, and didn't even see John pedal slowly by me on his bicycle until he had passed me and I heard a soft "Hey!" that sounded like gravel and stones rolling over eachother. He leaned his bike against a tree and then his open arms wrapped me in one of the kindest hugs I have ever received. It was so sudden and although I knew instantly that he thought I was my sister, I felt only a beautiful sense of gratitude and didn't say anything as he silently got back on his bike and pedalled away.

Following that day, I played many games of checkers and cards with John. He never said much, but much never needed to be said. Our favored game was "War", and my favourite part about playing was that every time we laid down the same card, he would grin and say, "Oh, oh! Here's trouble!" in that rumbling way of his.

John seemed to me to have a love of little pieces of life and sometimes we would take a break from cards and he would pull a collection of sparkly pins and shiny things from his backpack and display them like a little boy, proud of his newest toys. Another time I caught him grinning and blushing like a schoolboy as he asked me, "Hey, want to come to Wabasca with me?" My answer was "no", but I was confused by the request until I saw his friend chuckling beside him, elbowing him like a fellow schoolboy caught in a dare.

The community of The Mustard Seed loved John, and games with him were frequently interrupted by people stopping to say hello, to ask about life, to tell him about theirs, and to enquire about the latest status of the card game. Some called him "grandpa" or "uncle", and he had his own quiet place as an elder in the community.

On May 18, 2008, John passed away from complications related to diabetes and liver disease. He was buried on Tuesday, May 27, his 66th birthday. At the mass, Father Jim said it seemed fitting that John's circle would end on the same day it began 66 years ago, but I like to think that his circle continues, as circles do, in the way he will be remembered and celebrated by all who knew him.

Thanks for sharing your life with us John. We'll miss you.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

oh dena! thanks for sharing! how sad. :( i remember you telling me about him...

Amanda said...

beatiful. thank you for that.

Dunkleburger said...

well said.
you were almost approaching my rate of posts :) i lose