Sarah posted this on her blog and I read it at her and Jonathan's wedding and loved it so I'm posting it here too:
"Lovers must not, like usurers, live for themselves alone. They must finally turn from their gaze at one another back toward the community. If they had only themselves to consider, lovers would not need to marry, but they must think of others and of other things. They say their vows to the community as much as to one another, and the community gathers around them to hear and to wish them well, on their behalf and its own. It gathers around them because it understands how necessary, how joyful, and how fearful this joining is. These lovers, pledging themselves to one another "until death," are giving themselves away, and they are joined by this as no law or contract could join them. Lovers, then, "die" into their union with one another as a soul "dies" into its union with God. And so here, at the very heart of community life, we find not something to sell as in the public market but this momentous giving. If the community cannot protect this giving, it can protect nothing..."
- Wendell Berry (farmer and theologian)
I heard the other day that running a gas lawn mower for one hour emits as much pollution as driving a car hundreds of kilometres. So, I did a little research and (very easily) convinced my parents to purchase one of these:

Not only will it be a little kinder to the earth (and my lungs), I think I will also enjoy cutting the grass a lot more, and I won't have to choke on exhaust and feel like wearing earplugs. I'm pretty excited.
I also like this idea: www.guerillagardening.org
Cheers. Hope the month of May is splendid for you all.
5 comments:
you win. i will post some new stuff...
and nice work on the lawn mower!
let's run away and be guerrillas
I mow with one of those, they do not cut dandy lions:(
Hey Dean, that's for the heads up on the killer lawn mowers! I now look forward to slicing through juicy blades of chlorophyl with our non-electric push mower!
When will I see you on the side of the road again? Ever?
I have a lawn mower like yours, too...and mowing is more pleasurable, though I find that most weeds resist its blade! (And since most of our lawn is weeks, this looks silly.) Oh well!
Also: Do you know in which book this quote from Wendell Berry is found? I'm interested in using it in a paper, but I need to quote it...
Post a Comment