January 27, 2011

Egyptian Perspectives

A small collection of conversations I've had with Egyptians today, and some of the things Egyptian friends have been posting on Facebook. Hopefully they represent some of the different perspectives I'm hearing here. My neighbourhood is quiet (and has been the entire time; I don't expect this to change), but there is still much going on.

Amira, 26: "For those who fear the departure of the illusion of security: This country was safe before [President Mubarak] came and will remain safe after his departure. Safety, however, by the hand of God and not by the hand of men."

Joseph, 23: "It's amazing! 20,000 people downtown alone! I wanted to be out there demonstrating so bad. I almost went, but then I thought of my family: I'm the only boy - the supporter of the family - and I don't know what they'd do if I was arrested or injured." (Later): "Did you see the crap Hillary Clinton was saying on TV? I'm against all foreign interference."

Mido, 26: "I don't agree with this at all. Of course I hate the government. But these protests are getting violent. There are good people in the government too. And what are [the protesters] plans after this?"

Keem, 36: "I told my kids it is a day of history in Egypt -- but [4 year-old] Mark asked, "What is history?"!"

Tamer, 23: Tuesday morning: "Someone needs to write a 'Demonstrations for Dummies' (this, because by 11 am there still seemed to be nothing happening, despite days of rumours of what Tuesday would bring). . . . Tuesday night: "Tonight we stand tomorrow we fly!...so proud of Egypt and the Egyptians."

Jeem, 32: Sigh. "What are these problems on the streets, Dena? What are they?" (It was meant to be a rhetorical question).

Taxi driver, who said he was 80: "Did you see the war in this square yesterday? I was here! I was here!"
Me: "Yes, but only from far away. What do you think will happen now?"
Him: "What?"
Me: (Repeating myself)
Him: "What?" He then turned left, even though I very loudly said "right."
Me: "Never mind, here is good"
Him: (Huge smile) "1000 peace."

Kareem, 25: "Just wait till the army gets the orders to attack civilians. Tomorrow the government will win the war or whatever you guys are calling this thing, and I think you call it a 'revolution' and it's only a demonstration and people protesting to remove the president. Start a protest with your own minds first and then protest to remove the president that you don't like. And I'm not against the people, nor with the government, but unfortunately I'm expecting a chaos approaching if the people kept yelling 'yasqot mubrak' [overthrow President Mubarak] and not saying [who they want next]. The 'broken' system is going to stay, keep that in mind."

Thankfully his predictions haven`t come true [yet], though the police have definitely been cracking down and 5 protesters are reported to have been killed in Suez, outside Cairo. Pray for an end to the violence.

Joseph, 23 (again): "Even if nothing happens, even if nothing changes: at least we stood up! At least we expressed that we`re not happy with how things are here - at least they heard our voices! And don`t forget that it took Tunisia 29 days to get rid of their president."

An Arab-American professor to foreigners living in Egypt: In joining protests, you may feel the urge to participate in a regional wave or be a part of history, but let me offer a word of caution: Think of the likely results if you do. While Egyptians may or may not welcome you to the protests, it is my opinion after observing Egypt for 20 some years that anyone who stands out in appearance as non-Egyptian hurts the cause badly and emboldens pro-gov't forces.

Reason: It's often a trope of autocratic regimes that outsiders provoke the protests (or any discontent), and if one stands out, one only fuel that perception. The down crackers, light on the IQ to begin with, might feel more emboldened to crack downward. Effectively, a well intentioned urge to be a part of history could hurt the very movement you want to support.

The best help you can offer is cheer on Egyptians who want/need/love/crave to save their own country from ill-gotten wealth and rule. Participation in this case -- in these times -- belongs not to us, but to the people of Egypt.


1 comment:

r.c.f. said...

Thanks for the updates, Dena. You've been very informative; it'll be interesting to see how things go.