September 05, 2010

Satire on a Sunday

Firstly, on a matter that is not at all satirical:
Congratulations to Andrew Kroeze and Lynda Kuipers on the day (after) their wedding! I'm more than sad that I couldn't attend the festivities, since I'm sure an unforgettable time was had by all, but know that I was there in spirit.

Secondly, somewhat satirically, and related to the third matter:
My younger sister wrote me the other day: "I had a dream you were taken by soviet taliban allies and they phoned me to come rescue you and then i phoned your egyptian boss to see what i should do and he said i should offer to switch places with you and let them perform their genetic-modification experiments on me instead... that's when the dream ended so i'm not sure what the outcome was. Although this dream did lead to a realization of the extent to which north american 'enemy' stereotypes have infiltrated my subconscious. The Russians and the Taliban teaming up to become a superpower alliance of EVIL! It's like michael w. smith always says, "go west young man, when the evil go east."

Soviets and the Taliban, AND Michael W. giving a relevant comment on both? Brilliant.




(Ah! My blogger has just been hijacked by this trio. I'm being forced to post the images twice; each time I try and delete the second group, blogger crashes on me. I'm not kidding. Alliance of evil indeed).

Thirdly, very satirically, you should read this piece from "The Onion": (Note: I sent it to my boss, who read it and at first thought it was serious, until he saw the Onion byline. He said, "What?! It sounded like my brother. How was I supposed to know?").

Man Already Knows Everything He Needs To Know About Muslims

AUGUST 30, 2010 | ISSUE 46•35

SALINA, KS—Local man Scott Gentries told reporters Wednesday that his deliberately limited grasp of Islamic history and culture was still more than sufficient to shape his views of the entire Muslim world.

Gentries, 48, said he had absolutely no interest in exposing himself to further knowledge of Islamic civilization or putting his sweeping opinions into a broader context of any kind, and confirmed he was "perfectly happy" to make a handful of emotionally charged words the basis of his mistrust toward all members of the world's second-largest religion.

"I learned all that really matters about the Muslim faith on 9/11," Gentries said in reference to the terrorist attacks on the United States undertaken by 19 of Islam's approximately 1.6 billion practitioners. "What more do I need to know to stigmatize Muslims everywhere as inherently violent radicals?"

"And now they want to build a mosque at Ground Zero," continued Gentries, eliminating any distinction between the 9/11 hijackers and Muslims in general. "No, I won't examine the accuracy of that statement, but yes, I will allow myself to be outraged by it and use it as evidence of these people's universal callousness toward Americans who lost loved ones when the Twin Towers fell." Read more

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

HA HA! Brilliant! On all accounts! Brilliant post, brilliant dream, brilliant double picture, brilliant article.

You should most definitely post more often so there can be more brilliant in my life. :)

Sarah said...

Rianne is a nerd.

Justine Ann said...

hahahahahaha! Rianne you're a nut. How about that subconscious hey. I wonder how many North Americans on average have blatant stereotypes in their dreams each night?

After reading all that satire I think I might be included in that average tonight...

sweet. dreams.

I miss you Dena.