New days ahead: I’m traveling to Lebanon tomorrow and staying for a week
So it begins:

Fresh produce, all winter long - Cairo, Egypt

Nisma and I - Cairo, Egypt

Jesus at the Hagia Sophia ("Seat of Divine Wisdom") - Istanbul, Turkey

A Christian woman selling icons - Maaloula, Syria (Maaloula is one of the only towns in the world where they still speak Aramaic - the language Jesus spoke)

The Ummayad Mosque (aka "The Star Wars Mosque") - Damascus, Syria

Iranian Shiite Muslims preaching inside the Ummayad Mosque - Damascus, Syria

The classic picture at the Dead Sea - Jordan

Burning leavened bread before the beginning of Passover in Mea' Shearim (Ultra-Orthodox Jewish neighbourhood)- Jerusalem, Israel

"Graffiti" on the wall that the Israelis are illegally constructing between Israel and the West Bank (another post to follow on that at a later date) - Abu Dis (East Jerusalem), The West Bank/the Occupied Territories/Palestine

The view of the Dome of the Rock from the roof of a friend's house - Jerusalem, Israel

A few of us with "Sayeedna" ("Archbishop") Elias Chacour, Palestinian Archbishop of the Greek Catholic/Melkite church in Galilee, and prominent peace advocate. Read his books: "Blood Brothers" and "We Belong to the Land". - Haifa, Israel

Good Friday on the Via Dolorosa (the "Way of Suffering"/ the Way of the Cross) - Jerusalem, Israel

Two men at the Damascus Gate, outside the Old City - Jerusalem, Israel

The Middle East Studies Program group of Spring 2007 - Cairo, Egypt
5 comments:
Nisma, Abuna Chacour, Uncle Dave (with beard??), Jerusalem, Istanbul, Cairo... it's so hard not to be insanely jealous of the people and places you get to see and know right now. Enjoy! When are you coming back to Canada?
I like that you're reading Elias Chacour in the Dead Sea. Very fitting.
Thanks, Dena...I'm moving to Washington state in August--I'll be teaching 7th/8th grade. How long will you be in the Middle East? I love your pictures!
Wow...Yes, jealous... No, more like, re-resolved to travel in that direction some day. Your stories, the pictures, it all seems so incredible! It's great that this world is so...full. I can't wait to see more!
wow Dena... great pictures!
It was so sweet (not to mention random) to talk to you the other day!
Look forward to seeing you!
Post a Comment