During our time here, we're staying at the Austrian Hospice (i.e. hostel) in the Old City, on the Via Dolorosa - the way they say Jesus walked with the cross (I don't know who "they" are, but apparently a lot of people believe them). Also staying at this hospice is a French/Israeli film crew, who arrived today. Just a little while ago, three of them stopped on their way out the door and started to stare at me and whisper, something I didn't notice until Steve pointed it out to me. I'm kind of hoping this means they want to put me in their film, although I guess that would be kind of strange, since they're making a documentary on something called "The Jerusalem Syndrome." The J-ru syndrome is a syndrome in which people who were perfectly "normal" before arriving in Jerusalem suddenly start to act and dress and behave like Biblical figures, usually prophets. These people were psychologically well before they got to Jerusalem, and they're psychologically well once they leave Jerusalem, but while they're here, they suddenly adopt a new identity. I have a feeling I've seen a few of these people in the last couple days, but in a city full of religious pilgrims (and some religious fanatics), you never can tell . . . Some people say this syndrome is spiritual, some say it's psychological, but either way, it exists. So basically, Steve and I decided that I must look like a prophet of some kind, and that's why those film crew members found me so interesting. I haven't decided what prophet I must be, or rather, what prophetess. Any ideas?
To all you Americans out there, here's an early Happy Thanksgiving to you - I hope it's filled with friends and family, and maybe even a little turkey. We're working out a plan to knock on the doors of the American consulate here and asking them to feed us, since, after all, the rest of this group are American citizens, and I plan on tagging along (plus, I attempt a little American-Middle Eastern cultural diplomacy here since I'm usually identified as an American so I think I deserve a little something from the U.S. government too). I'll let you know how it works out.
November 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
One of my workstudy is a psychology major and he has never heard of the syndrome. I enlightened him :-) I can't wait when I go to Jerusalem to try and find these people.
I hope travel is going well. You must be near the end.
Amos!!! (well not really, it was just the first one that came to mind). grand idea dena. hopefully it works better than your dordt library over night attempts.
hey you. thanks for your comment!! yay i know you are alive now. i am wondering- hoping it won't take too much to reply - can you give me your snail mail address?? asante sana! yes i am curious to learn more about swahili and arabic connections. one i know is haditha- hadithi (or something ) is story here. hadith as in the muslim book. cool!
Is Israel your last country to visit? I thought maybe you'd get to visit Lebanon, but now with the assassination, I guess not...
Maybe the filmakers just thought you were hot. It's probable, you know.
You and Sarah look nothing like any prophetess' I know. So more than likely you just had dirt on your face or something to that effect. Perhaps, you should allow anonymous comments to make my life easier. Deal? Deal.
Post a Comment